Jan 16, 2017
Going to an auto auction can be a fun and thrifty way for you to purchase your next car. However, don’t go to a motor auction unprepared! Before you put in your first bid you should understand a few tricks of the trade. Here are a few tips:
- Be sure to do your homework beforehand! If possible, decide on which vehicles you may want to bid by looking at the Auto Auction Catalog (either at the automobile auction site or online). Also, determine your maximum bid and consult the blue book value for a car in that listed condition to make sure you do not overbid or underbid.
- Familiarize yourself with the rules, terms and conditions of the auto auction location you are using. For example, you will want to know whether the auto auction site charges a buyer’s premium, a fee that could make a difference in how much you’re willing to bid. Also, be sure to check what forms of payment the Fort Wayne auto auction site accepts. Not every auction accepts credit cards!
- Ignorance isn’t always bliss – especially when it comes to auctions! To make sure you aren’t getting a lemon, try to get the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) from the seller and run a thorough Vehicle History Report to make sure nothing suspicious shows up. If something looks off, then you may want to focus on other cars at the auto auction.
- Show up early to the Fort Wayne IN motor auction site and give yourself plenty of time to inspect the vehicle(s) with an eagle eye. Be on the lookout for anything that just does not look quite right to you, like damaged rims, flood damage, a rebuilt title, uneven tire wear (a sign of bad alignment) or excessive damage. If you aren’t sure what to look for, then bring a friend who knows cars.
- Don’t get caught up in a bidding war and end up paying more than you intended. Stick to your guns: decide prior to the automobile auction that getting a good deal trumps the thrill of the win.
From Boston to Fort Wayne to sunny San Diego, auto auction sites abound! So what are you waiting for? Your next car may be just one bid away!